Smooth, light and DREAMY: Almond Dreamcake! Made with almond cream — no dairy and no cashews! (Raw, Vegan & Paleo approved)
Goodbye for now, Cashew Cream
Ask and you shall receive! A vegan creamcake with NO CASHEWS! (And no soy, agar agar or even coconut cream!) Can you believe it?!!?
I have gotten so many questions about replacing cashews in cheesecakes, and NOW I have the answer and I’m SO excited!
ALMONDS TAKE THE CAKE
- Almonds still offer a neutral flavor – check!
- They’re less expensive (always good news!)
- More readily available. YAY! (I buy them at Aldi for super cheap)
- They CAN be turned into cream – YESS!!
- BONUS: they’re lower in carbs! So for all my dairy-free keto friends, I know you’ll be super excited this discovery!!
Happy dance! Thank you to Ben & Jerrys for the inspiration to try making almond cream. After trying their new dairy-free ice cream on National Free Cone Day and found out it’s made with almonds, I had to try making it!
How to make Almond Cream
Making almond cream is SUPER easy and exactly like making cashew cream, actually! If you’re new to making cream out of nuts, here’s how you do it:
- Add blanched (skinless) almonds to a glass bowl that holds 3-4 cups.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Pour it over the almonds.
- Soak nuts in hot water for 2 hours (alternatively, soak in room-temp water overnight)
- Drain, rinse and shake nuts dry.
- Put the nuts in a food processor (or high speed blender) and blend them until completely broken down.
- Scrape down the sides, and blend again with a little almond milk and to reach a creamy consistency and Voila, cream!
Tastes like a DREAM
Almond “Dreamcake” is similar but not quite exactly like a cheesecake. It’s lighter, and less tangy. More of a cream cake. And it’s totally heaven on a fork.
But if you want to turn this into a cheesecake, you can! Swap the milk for oil and add about 1 more tablespoon of lemon juice so it will be rich and have a cream cheese flavor. (I will definitely be making an almond cheesecake, so stay tuned for that)
But my absolute FAVORITE part about this dreamcake is the almond FLAVOR. I am a little bit obsessed with almond extract. It’s such a delicious flavor and this dessert is FULL of it. Reminds me of the flavor of wedding cake!
That hot pink drizzle though…
I can’t forget about the drizzle! Whatever you call it… coulis, compote, or drizz, it’s so gorgeous and adds so much decadence.
Can you guess what it’s made of?? It’s beets! Plus more almond extract, milk and a splash of maple syrup, pureed together. Super simple, but totally takes it up a notch. If beets aren’t your thing, you can totally make a compote out of strawberries or blueberries, like in this recipe.
Drizzle is optional, but definitely elevates your level of fancy. 😉