This festive and colorful pie is perfect for the holidays! A chewy no-bake brownie crust and rich vanilla cream (plus a healthy twist!) that’s free from dairy, gluten/grains and refined sugar.
Twinkling lights, the bright red and green, … there’s something so magical about decking the halls and trimming the tree. It really does make spirits bright.
Every year on Christmas morning, my mom makes Christmas tree shaped French toast. With green sprinkles, a sausage link tree trunk, and a slice of star fruit for then top, it looks just like a tree! It’s a special tradition the whole family looks forward to. Plus it’s just so cute!
I love making memories at Christmastime. Doing special things like driving to see Christmas lights, finding our Elf every morning, and baking cut-out cookies are all things my family looks forward to every year.
And we always do a fancy dinner on Christmas Eve night. I feel so lucky my mom goes all out to make it extra special and memorable– fine china, 4 course gourmet meal, getting all dressed up and enjoying time with our family around the beautifully decorated table.
Now I’m thinking I’ll add this Christmas Tree Pie to our list of traditions. Wouldn’t this be so perfect for Christmas dessert? Sqeee! It just makes me so happy. =D
Dye Free Deliciousness
Can you believe this pie has no dye?! It makes me so giddy that there’s no artificial food coloring! You, too? No funky chemicals (and especially no chemical aftertaste). YAY.
It’s made with PLANTS (but it does NOT taste like plants lol, promise!) 100% natural and add tons of nutrients. Desserts with benefits 😉
Remember for Halloween I made a bright green pie. and told you I’d be making it year round because I was in love?? Here’s Frankenstein Pie Part 2! It was so good that I had to make another one, but bigger to fit a standard pie plate.
WHAT plant is it made of?? Spinach! A nutrient dense green that’s neutral tasting, and able to blend in without anyone knowing. REALLY.
This pie has a chewy chocolate brownie crust that has no flour, added sugar or butter! It’s made with nuts, dates and raw cacao (hello, superfood!)
Not only is it healthy, it’s so easy. — NO BAKE. Literally just blend the ingredients in a food processor and press into your pie plate.
It takes just minutes start to finish. In fact, I used my 60 Second Brownie Bites for the crust. It really does come together in 60 seconds 🙂
BUT WHAT DOES IT TASTE LIKE?
“Ok, Emily, you’re telling me you can blend up 3 cups of spinach and some nuts, and it actually tastes GOOD?.. What even IS it??” LOL I hear ya. I would be slightly skeptical, too.
It’s hard to describe, but it’s FRIGGIN’ DELICIOUS. It’s a cross between a cream pie and a cheesecake (without the tang). So smooth and so rich.
You’ll taste the fragrant vanilla and hints of maple and coconut combined with the chocolatey chewy walnut crust. You can even peppermint or almond extract not you like! Yum!
The fluffy festive whipped cream with juicy pomegranate ornaments adds another layer of sweetness with a tiny bit of crunch. It’s a pure Christmas delight.
Pomegranate seeds (aka arils) also pack a nutritional punch. Not only are they a GORGEOUS shade of red, they are full of antioxidants, Vitamin K & C, and many other wonderful nutrients and health benefits
Trim Your Tree
I got to share this pie with my family last night for dessert, and it was SUCH a hit! I couldn’t believe everyone kept asking for seconds .. and thirds! I knew I loved it, but apparently they really do, too. My hubby loved it so much he asked me to make one for his company’s Christmas potluck. And I shall 🙂 Little Christmas trees for everyone!
I hope you have a very Merry Christmas, friends!! Enjoy something special and delicious 🙂
Vanilla Cream Christmas Tree Pie
- 1 1/2 cup walnuts
- 6 medjool dates pitted
- 1/3 cup cacao
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/8 tsp Himalayan pink salt
Vanilla Cream Tree Filling
- 1 cup raw cashews soaked
- 4 1/2 Tbs maple syrup
- 3 1/4 cups fresh baby spinach packed
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tbs coconut oil melted
- 1 Tbs vanilla
- Pinch of pink salt
- Whipped coconut cream
- pomegranate seeds
To make the crust:
- Pulse all ingredients together in a food processor until finely ground. Add a splash of water to help it blend. When it starts to stick together, it's done.
- Press firmly into a pie plate (parchment optional, but helps with removal). Refrigerate while you prepare the filling.
To make the filling:
- (Use cashews that have been soaked either overnight in a bowl of water or 2 hours in a bowl of boiling water). Drain, rinse and shake dry. Blend cashews thoroughly in a food processor.
- Scrape down the sides. Add spinach and blend again.
- Add remaining ingredients and blend smooth. Taste and adjust for sweetness.
- Pour filling over crust and smooth with a spatula. Cover with a paper towel and wrap tightly in foil. Freeze until firm, then refrigerate until ready to garnish & serve.
- Garnish with whipped cream and pomegranate seeds (or whatever you like! - coconut shreds, pepitas, chocolate chips, dried cranberries or raspberries) Enjoy!