Chocolate Pecan Pie made healthier!! Luscious chocolate filling, smooth caramel and buttery pecans on a flaky shortbread crust. NO grains/gluten, sugar, eggs, or dairy! This pie is 100% Vegan & Paleo friendly 🙂
Paleo & Vegan Chocolate Pecan Pie
Are you ready for a recipe makeover?
I recreated one of my favorite desserts, Chocolate Turtle Pie, and made it much healthier using whole foods. So, YES, you can have your pie and eat it, too! 😉
Have YOU ever experienced the amazingness that is chocolate turtle? It’s the scrumptious combination of chocolate, CARAMEL, and pecans!
But in this pie, you won’t find any sweetened condensed milk, corn syrup, bleached flour, or refined sugar in this recipe. So what’s it made of?? Unconventional ingredients that are delicious and good for you!
Secretly Made with Avocado!
The chocolate filling is made with (gasp!) AVOCADO. (And no, it doesn’t taste like guac! Haha!) They make it so smoooooth and creamy.
Avocados make the perfect healthy swap for traditional chocolate pie filling. Blended with maple syrup, cacao and coconut oil, avocado takes on a delicious rich chocolate flavor that you don’t have to regret eating. And avocados are SO incredibly good for you.
How to make Quick & Easy Dairy-Free Caramel
This pie has a thick layer of caramel spread on the chocolate.
But it’s made with 1 ingredient:
Crisp Toasted PECANS
Don’t even get me started on PECANS. Freshly roasted with a touch of sea salt… Mmmm!
This pie would be a wonderful addition to your holiday menu! Thanksgiving, Christmas, or any fall party!
Chocolate Turtle Pie
- 2 1/4 cups almond flour
- 4 1/2 Tbs oil I used almond
- 1 1/2 Tbs maple syrup
- 1 Tbs ground flax + 1 Tbs water
- 1/4 tsp pink salt
- 3 ripe avocados
- 1/2 cup raw cacao powder to taste
- 1/4 cup coconut oil melted
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup to taste
- 1 Tbs vanilla extract
- 1/16 tsp almond extract
- 1/16 tsp pink salt
- 1 heaping cup medjool dates pitted
- Water to soak
- Pinch of pink salt
- Dash of vanilla optional
- 1 cup pecan halves roasted
To make the crust:
- Preheat oven to 350. Lightly oil a pie plate.
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour and salt.
- In a small cup, combine flax, water, oil and maple syrup.
- Pour wet over dry and mix well. Press into a standard size pie dish.
- Bake for 16-20 minutes until lightly golden. Set aside to cool.
To make the chocolate filling:
- Add avocados to food processor and blend well.
- Warm coconut oil gently in a glass measuring cup in the microwave.
- Add warm oil and remaining ingredients to taste (add more syrup or cacao, if needed).
- Spread over cooled crust. Set in the fridge while you prepare the caramel.
To make the caramel layer:
- Place pitted dates in a bowl and cover with water (about 1/2 cup).
- Soak for 30 minutes. Remove dates from water and place in food processor, but SAVE the water.
- Blend dates, vanilla and salt then stream in water and until desired consistency is achieved (about 3-4 Tbs).
- Spread caramel on top of chocolate layer. Decorate with pecans.
- Refrigerate for 3 hours to set. Enjoy!