A frozen blended version of your favorite Pumpkin Spice Latte, without any dairy, sugar or JUNK. Easy to make in minutes with no espresso maker needed! (Keto/Low-carb, Vegan & Paleo!)
Originally published October 2018. Updated September 2021.
Homemade Frapps > Starbucks Frappuccinos
I used to love getting frappuccinos at Starbucks. Years ago when I ate sugar. Now I can’t do it anymore. Too much sugar. My body feels like complete garbage when I eat sugar.
I can’t bring myself to order a frapp at Starbucks. Especially when I can recreate them AT HOME, using REAL food, and for PENNIES compared to the $$$ at a fancy coffee shop.
I had a friend who was a barista at Starbucks and told me they wouldn’t drink the frapps there anymore after seeing what’s in them.
Do I even want to know? Ok I’m really curious… so I looked it up here, and this just reinforces why I stay away from sugary coffee drinks at those shops.
Are you ready for this?? SEVENTY TWO carbs in ONE serving!!! =O I am in utter shock right now, lol.
*MY* RECIPE HAS FOUR CARBS. 4!! (Cue praise hands.)
Disclosure: This is not a sponsored post, however I received complimentary products to review, but all opinions are my own. In addition, this post contains affiliate links where I may receive a small commission if you make a purchase.
REAL FOOD FRAPPUCCINO Ingredients
You won’t find any corn syrup, maltodextrin, artificial coloring, gobs of sugar and dairy or a million other additives, preservatives, thickeners, or processed junk in my version. Just real, healthy, wholesome ingredients.
- Pumpkin pureé for creamy pumpkin goodness. I buy canned pumpkin from Aldi. It’s like 79 cents. I love that store.
- Note: do NOT buy pumpkin PIE filling, which has tons of added sugar. Just pure pumpkin.
- Cashew milk for dairy-free deliciousness.
- Feel free to sub almond milk, macadamia milk or whatever you like. Skip cow’s milk or sweetened milks if you’re low-carb.
- Almond butter for creaminess and richness (so it’s not too icy!).
- Any nut/seed butter will work, but I recommend a neutral flavored one like almond. 1/4 of an Avocado will also work! 🙂
- Instant espresso powder for a quick and easy customizable coffee flavor.
- This is *freeze-dried* espresso (NOT coffee grounds.)
- You can find it in the coffee aisles of most grocery stores or on Amazon.
- This makes it ready no espresso maker needed, and no brewing coffee either!
And MORE Real Stuff
- Pumpkin Spice for the warm flavors you crave!
- You can easily make your own spice mix using cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and/or cloves (see my notes in the recipe for how to make it) and even customize the flavors to your personal preference. (For me, I like it with less nutmeg and ginger)
- Monk Fruit for sugar-free sweetness. Yes, it is an actual fruit, but the extract is zero carb! 🙂
- You can find monk fruit extract online (here use code PRETTYPIES for 20% off) It is my new *obsession*** I can’t believe how good it tastes.. like real sugar! I definitely prefer it to stevia. And I love that this is a pure extract with no other ingredients. 🙂
- See below for alternative sweeteners (including non-low carb options)
- Ice for thickness and that amazing frozen texture.
- Side note, you can also use coffee ice cubes (yep, just freeze some coffee in an ice cube tray) But personally I prefer the stronger flavor of the espresso powder. Plus it’s super easy to add more that way.
If you’re making a single serving frapp, and you *don’t* have one of those fancy-schmancy Vitamix blenders or the like, I highly recommend using a personal size blender cup. (This Ninja Pro blender works great) A smaller blender cup makes blending single servings a breeze!
Without a strong blender, the ice is not going to break down the ice into micro-size. It may not even blend the ice at all (at least not without having to add a ton of extra milk,)
But that being said, if your blender is struggling to blend the ice, simply add more milk. Just a splash usually does the trick.
I like my frapps really THICK, with those tiny bits of texture. Not like a thin, cold, boring milk, ha. But if you want yours thinner or smoother, by all means, use less ice or add more liquid.
HAVE IT YOUR WAY
This drink is So easy to make your own, how YOU like it. You are now your own barista 🙂
Want it sweeter? Add a few more drops of monk fruit. Want bold coffee flavor, use a whole tablespoon of espresso powder. Don’t even LIKE coffee? Leave it out entirely.
Add extra milk if you like it thinner, extra spice if you like it spicier, extra almond butter if you like it creamier. Don’t have almond butter? Use avocado!
Want to give it a secret nutrition boost? Throw in a handful of SPINACH (you can’t taste it!) Just be advised that the color will *not* be pretty, lol! But at least your insides will be, lol. OR you could use zucchini, cooked sweet potato, steamed carrots, or even celery.
If you don’t have monkfruit drops, feel free to use ANY powdered dry sweetener you like. I would start with 1 Tablespoon and sweeten to taste.
(use code PRETTYPIES a discount on your order of Besti or Lakanto!)
You can also use a liquid sweetener if you reduce the amount of milk by 1-2 Tablespooons
- Lakanto Vanilla Syrup
- Lakanto Maple Syrup
- Besti Vanilla Syrup
- Pure Maple Syrup for non low-carb
- Honey for non low-carb
Have a question about substituting an ingredient? Drop it in the comments below. I personally respond to all comments 🙂
Frozen Pumpkin Comfort
I like mine with a lot of almond butter, a LOT of espresso, a lot of ice, not much milk or spice, but a lot of pumpkin puree. OH, and a BIG DOLLOP of coconut WHIP…. sigh. It’s so dreamy. <3 Then a sprinkle of cinnamon to finish it off.
So comforting, creamy rich and satisfying. Mmmmm… pumpkin AND coffee goodness! What’s not to love?
Update: I made even MORE healthy homemade frappuccino flavors! Click here for Mocha, Vanilla Bean, Caramel & more.
If you make this recipe, be sure to leave a star rating below & tag me on Insta so I can see 🙂
Healthy Pumpkin Spice Latte Frappé (Keto, Vegan, Paleo)
- 5 ice cubes - or frozen coffee cubes instead of espresso powder
- 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla cashew milk - or non-dairy milk of choice
- 2-4 Tbs pumpkin puree
- 1 heaping Tbs almond butter
- 1/2 to 1 Tbs instant espresso powder - to taste
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin spice
- 10 drops monkfruit drops - or stevia drops (see post)
- coconut whip and a sprinkle of pumpkin spice for garnish - recipe below
- Add all ingredients to a small blender cup (except garnish).
- Customize it to your personal preferences (more milk, espresso, pumpkin, spice, almond butter, or spinach or zucchini!)
- Blend smooth. (If your blender is struggling, add little more milk)
- Add a dollop of coconut whipped cream (recipe in notes) and a sprinkle of cinnamon or more pumpkin spice. Enjoy immediately 🙂
- from Amazon
- from Thrive Market (use my referral link to save an extra 25% off your entire order)
- from Lakanto.com (use code PRETTYPIES for 20% off)
Homemade Pumpkin Spice Recipe:Combine the following in a small jar & shake to mix. Can easily be doubled.
- 3 Tbs cinnamon
- 2 tsp ginger
- 2 tsp nutmeg
- 1-1/2 tsp allspice
- 1-1/2 tsp cloves (optional)
Want MORE Healthy Pumpkin Recipes?
All recipes are gluten-free, dairy-free, sugar-free, egg-free, low-carb, vegan and paleo!