Soft and creamy Strawberry Lime ‘Cheesecake’ — without the dairy, gluten, eggs or any added sugar! (You’d never guess this is made with healthy ingredients and secretly nutrient-packed!) Jump to Recipe
Take me back to my happy place! Yesterday was a bad day. You know those kinds of days where everything just seems to go wrong?!
The only bright spot of the day: this cheesecake.
Do you have a happy place? I actually got to visit mine last week. It’s my grandmother’s farm in Kentucky. I can’t get over how beautiful that place is. It’s calm, and peaceful. There’s nothing I’d rather do that sit on her back porch and sip coffee, watching the sunrise. That view of the rolling hills covered with green grass. Beauty all around. It’s GLORIOUS and serene.
Family time is good for the soul. Nature is healing. Getting away from the day to day stresses is just what I needed. Any time I’m having a bad day (*YESTERDAY!! lol), I think about that porch.
And any time I need some extra happiness, I make cheesecake. Just looking at those pastel layers brings me the same kind of joy as looking at the Kentucky sunrise down on the farm. Not to mention TASTING it 🙂
How to Create Layers of Deliciousness
I’m in LOVE with this cheesecake. So yummy! Aren’t the layers pretty?? Don’t get scared by the layers. It’s not hard to do. For real.
Layer 1: The CRUST. A no-bake crisp crumb that tastes like shortbread. It’s made in just 2 minutes using a food processor. Press a button. Press crumbs into the pan. It’s that easy!
Layer 2: LIME. The cheesecake base is also just blended in a food processor! Save half for the top layer. Add in some extra ingredients to make it GREEN and full of yummy lime flavor.
Here comes a secret ingredient. You’d NEVER guess it’s filled with spinach!! Hahaha! You cannot taste vegetables. Just tangy lime deliciousness.
How to Add Intense Strawberry Flavor
Layer 3: STRAWBERRY. Put the remaining half of the filling back into the food processor and add in the magical strawberries!! Magical?? Yes! I used *freeze dried* strawberries in this recipe to maximize the flavor and color–without adding too much liquid (since strawberries are quite juicy!)
Freeze dried strawberries can be found at most grocery stores these days. I get them at ALDI (my favorite store).
Simply put the freeze dried berries into a small blender and pulverize into a powder. It only takes 5-10 seconds. So easy and makes it so PRETTY.
Secrets to Amazing Cake Texture
Ok, if you must know… this cheesecake is also filled with zucchini!!! And I PROMISE it’s delicious.
You’ve gotta trust me. It totally adds a lightness and creaminess. More fluffy. It’s not as heavy and dense as some cashew cakes can be. So perfect for spring and summer, or for when you want it to *feel* like spring anyway. (as I type this bundled up in my giant sweater dreaming of warmer weather! ha. SO ready for nice sunny days to return)
If you’re new, you may not know I’ve got a whole section of hidden zucchini desserts, like this white chocolate raspberry cheesecake, chocolate pie, mint pie and vanilla milkshake! It’s virtually undetectable. And one of my go-to schemes to get my kids to eat veggies. Because #momlife
Spinach AND zucchini?! Bwahahaha. They’ll never know!!
Perfect for Celebrations
I’ll be sharing this cheesecake of happiness with my fam for our big Easter dinner at my parents’ house. Can’t wait to see their faces light up when they see how pretty the colors are. (Should I tell them it’s full of veggies?? lol. Hmmm….)
If you make this, be sure to tag me on Instagram @emily.likes.food #prettypies! I LOVE hearing from you!! 🙂
Low-Carb Strawberry Lime Cheesecake (Vegan, Paleo)
Additional Ingredients for Lime Layer
- 1 handful spinach
- 2 Tbs lime zest
Additional Ingredients for Strawberry Layer
- 5 Tbs freeze dried strawberry powder
To make the crust:
- Pulse together all ingredients in a food processor.
- Press into a small (7") springform pan lined with parchment.
To make the filling:
- (Use cashews that have been soaked overnight in a bowl of water, or boil a pot of water and pour over and soak 2 hours) Drain, rinse and shake dry. Put cashews in food processor.
- Peel and shred zucchini. Place shreds in a clean towel and squeeze out all the excess moisture. Blend cashews & zucchini until smooth.
- Add remaining ingredients, streaming in the oil last. Taste and adjust for sweetness.
To make the lime layer:
- Remove half of the filling (about 1 1/3 cups) and set aside. Add zest and spinach to the filling and blend smooth.
- Pour lime layer over crust and smooth with a spatula. Cover with foil and freeze for 1-2 hours until firm.
To make the strawberry layer:
- Blend freeze dried strawberries into a powder using a small blender. Add powder to the leftover filling and blend again.
- Spread strawberry layer on top of lime layer. Cover with foil and freeze again to set.
- When cake is set, remove from springform, decorate with strawberries & more zest and refrigerate until ready to eat. ENJOY!