Rich chocolate + roasted hazelnuts + fluffy cream = a silky, heavenly ‘Nutella’ flavored pie! No gluten, dairy, eggs or added sugar!
I’m so EXCITED!
And I just can’t hide it! (Corny, I know. I’m having a Jessie Spano moment –the excited singing moment, not the drug addict meltdown one, lol)
WHY? Because this PIE is adaptable for so many diets! Vegan, Yep. Paleo? You bet! And KETO/sugar-free/low-carb? Absolutely!
With no grains, no eggs, no dairy, and your CHOICE of sweetener, everyone gets to enjoy some rich ‘NUTELLA’ PIE! Pretty Pie for ALL! 😀
I’m not 16 anymore
So a couple of weeks ago, I traded in my really old car for a slightly newer one. I’m probably the LAST person ever to have satellite radio, haha. But OMG the 90’s on 9 and Pop2K a total time warp for me.
These songs are taking me back to places and things I haven’t thought about for Years. All of the sudden I’m back in high school. It’s surreal!
Feels like another life. And back in that previous life, I ate whatever I wanted without giving it a second though… mostly bread, cheese, and sugar (soooo much soda.. omg).
Life was easier.. No checking labels for gluten, dairy and sugar… I had never even *heard* of gluten!
“Want a giant spoonful of Nutella, 16 year old self?” I wouldn’t even think twice. But WOW how things have changed. Now I wouldn’t (or more like *couldn’t*) touch “real” nutella with a 10 foot pole. That amount of refined sugar and processed stuff would wreck me and my crazy sensitive stomach.
You have no idea how happy that I can make my *own* homemade Nutella now. And especially have it in a PIE!
And, to my 16 year old self, I’m making it up to you. Look how far you’ve come! Now our favorite food is BRUSSELS SPROUTS and desserts made of PLANTS, bahahaha!
Homemade Vegan/Paleo/Keto Nutella
Did you know you can make your OWN ‘Nutella’.. at home, using simple ingredients (and NO buckets of sugar like conventional Nutella). It’s so much healthier. And YOU control the ingredients.
It’s so simple. Just throw some roasted hazelnuts in your food processor and blend smooth. Then add in some melted dark chocolate. SIMPLE and simply delish. Salt, vanilla and coconut cream take it over the top. #obsessed.
Whip and Swirl
Homemade ‘nutella’ + whipped cream + more ‘nutella’ swirled on top = one LUSCIOUS dessert!!
For this pie, I whipped the cream separately first, then folded in the ‘nutella’. This makes it more light (see those delicious tiny air pockets?) Sort of like a rich chocolate mousse! Decadent!!
And then added MORE whipped cream on top. I absolutely love the added fluffy creamy texture with the rich pie AND the crunch hazelnuts on top. (I love me some texture!)
Who’s ready for some heavenly silky ‘NUTELLA’ flavored pie?! *hand raised* Me!! 🙂 If you make this recipe, tag me on Instagram @emily.likes.food #prettypies 🙂 I love seeing your pies!
Nutella Pie (Vegan, Paleo, Keto)
- 1 1/2 cups roasted hazelnuts - (plus 1/4 cup for garnish)
- 1 13.6 oz can coconut milk - solid cream only
- 1 3 oz bar of dark chocolate - sugar-free for keto
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of pure stevia powder + 1 Tbs coconut water - or 1 Tbs maple syrup, to taste
- pinch of pink salt
- Whipped coconut cream - for garnish
To make the crust:
- Preheat oven to 350. Line a 7" springform pan with parchment.
- Whisk together dry ingredients in a mixing bowl (flour, salt and stevia, if using).
- In a small bowl bowl, stir together flax and water, and set aside to thicken. Pour flax mixture and melted coconut oil over dry ingredients and mix well.
- Press dough firmly into pan. Prick crust all over with a fork.
- Bake for aprox. 15 min until firm and lightly golden. Set aside to cool.
To make the filling:
- Place roasted hazelnuts in food processor and blend until liquefied (see notes)
- Scrape down sides and add melted chocolate and salt. Blend smooth.
- Scoop out solid coconut cream into a mixing bowl. Add vanilla, 1 Tbs coconut water (leftover from the can) plus a pinch of stevia (or 1 Tbs maple syrup)
- Whip cream with a hand mixer for 30-60 seconds until light and fluffy.
- Gently fold in chocolate hazelnut mixture (reserving a few Tbs to swirl on top, if you like) Taste and add a little more sweetener if needed.
- Pour filling over crust. Scoop on remaining nutella & swirl.
- Freeze for 1-2 hours until set. Garnish with whipped coconut cream (see notes) and chopped hazelnuts.
- Use a can of Thai Kitchen coconut milk that has been refrigerated overnight. Do not shake can.
- Carefully open and scoop out ONLY the solid white cream, careful not to get any water in the bowl.
- Add 1 tsp vanilla and sweetener of choice (7 drops Stevia, dash of stevia powder, 2-3 tsp maple syrup, or 1 Tbs powdered coconut sugar)
- Whip with a hand mixer for about 1 minute until light and fluffy. Enjoy!