The Summer of Homemade Keto Ice Cream
All summer long I’m gonna churn out new flavors of ice cream like crazy! (because #texasheat and because YUM). Are you guys loving the new flavors I’m sharing each week? They just keep getting better, haha!
Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I may earn a small commission from qualifying purchases made through referral links in this post (at no additional cost to you).
Copycat Reese’s Blast from Sonic
Darn it, Sonic! Why do you have to have the most DELICIOUS treats? My all time favorite thing from Sonic is a Reese’s Blast. Peanut butter cups blended into ice cream. UGh it’s so good.
But it also makes me feel like actual GARBAGE after I eat it. Sugar bombs make me ill.
I just KNEW I had to recreate a healthy version of my favorite dessert. MISSION ACCOMPLISHED. It’s totally possible when you use my Healthy homemade Reese’s recipe!!
My Reese’s Blast has ZERO dairy, zero SUGAR, and zero Garbage ingredients!!! 100% natural, plant-based ice cream filled with protein, fiber and antioxidants. That tastes completely SINFUL. But it’s NOT.
I’M HAVING A HARD TIME NOT TYPING IN ALL CAPS lol. I’m just too excited about this ice cream. It is SO GOOD. The chunks of peanut butter cups in every delicious bite absolutely blow me away!
Why You Need an Ice Cream Maker
If you don’t have an ice cream maker yet, go ahead and snag this one from Amazon! I absolutely LOVE mine.
- You won’t believe how EASY and delicious it is to make your own ice cream at home (where YOU control the ingredients!)
- Have you seen the MILE long list of stuff they put in store-bought ice cream these days?! All kinds of emulsifiers, gums, preservatives, thickeners, and “flavors” that could literally be a hundred different things. No thank you!
I thought I was doing good by getting the dairy-free Ben & Jerry’s, but then when I found out what was actually IN it I was thoroughly disappointed. So.many.ingredients.
Not to mention the SUGAR. There isn’t a whole-foods based, dairy-free, SUGAR-FREE ice cream even on the shelves that I know of! Especially that’s keto, vegan (and Paleo if you use almond butter)
You can’t get this in a store. You’ve gotta make it yourself. And it’s so worth it!
For Peanut Butter Lovers
If you remember from my previous ice cream recipes, I have been using almond butter + pure stevia instead of sugar. But here I really wanted to amp up the peanut butter flavor, so you guessed it– peanut butter!
Now I totally could’ve kept this as peanut butter ice cream and been completely satisfied. But why not make it even BETTER?! Adding in the peanut butter cups is absolute HEAVEN.
It tastes just as good as Sonic, and *better* than Ben & Jerry’s! There I said it and I really mean it 🙂
Making your own peanut butter cups is SUPER easy, too. I modified my original recipe to make it even simpler by using melted chocolate for the coating. (And I used wrappers this time so they really look like the real deal! haha)
The Reese’s recipe below is a half batch of the original, but you still only need about 5 of the 9 it makes, so YAY you’ll have leftovers to snack on! OR you can just add them all in and make it super concentrated with PB cups. I won’t tell.
Are you ready for peanut butter cup BLISS?? You’ve gotta try this ice cream!!
MORE Sugar-Free Peanut Butter Desserts
Check out these:
- Reese’s Freezer Fudge
- Peanut Butter Bark
- Peanut Butter Pie Dip
- Reese’s Mousse
- Peanut Butter Strawberry Squares
>> What ice cream flavor do you want to see next week? Tell me in the comments.
Click the image below to save this recipe on Pinterest & Follow me on Pinterest for more DF + GF recipes 🙂
Healthy Reese's Blast Ice Cream (Keto & Vegan)
Peanut Butter Ice Cream
Reese's (Peanut Butter Filling)
Reese's (Chocolate Coating)
- 2 oz dark chocolate - sugar-free for Keto. *see notes for homemade chocolate
- 1 tsp coconut oil
To make the Reese's:
- Line a mini muffin pan with 9 wrappers. Mix together all the filling ingredients in a small bowl. Add just enough coconut flour to form a dough. Taste and adjust for sweetness. Scoop into rounded 1/2 Tbs balls. Set aside while you melt the chocolate.
- Melt together dark chocolate and coconut oil gently in the microwave (30 sec).
- Add 1/2 tsp melted chocolate to the bottom of each wrapper. Swirl the chocolate by tilting the pan to coat the sides. Freeze for 5 minutes to set.
- Add a pb ball to the center of each wrapper. Pour chocolate on top to cover.
- Freeze for 15 minutes to set. (and keep frozen while you make the ice cream.) Chop 5 Reese's into small chunks.
To make the ice cream:
- (Remember to place ice cream bowl in freezer for 24 hours or until completely solid.)
- Blend all ingredients in a small blender. Taste and adjust if needed.
- Chill mixture. Place blender jar in freezer for 1 hour prior to churning so it gets very cold, but not frozen.
- Pour mixture into ice cream maker and churn for about 10 minutes (or until thickened to soft serve consistency). Throw in a couple of chopped Reese's during the last 2 minutes of churning, if you like.
- Transfer ice cream to a loaf pan or shallow dish. Sprinkle 4 chopped Reese's on top. Freeze 1 hour or until firm.
- *Important* Leave ice cream on the counter 5-10 minutes to soften. Scoop & enjoy with more chopped Reese's sprinkled on top (because yum)! 🙂
Liquid sweeteners are not recommended, as they usually make the mixture too icy.