Copycat Reese's Blast from Sonic
Darn it, Sonic! Why do you have to have the most DELICIOUS treats? My all time favorite thing from Sonic is a Reese's Blast. Peanut butter cups blended into ice cream. UGh it's so good. But it also makes me feel like actual GARBAGE after I eat it. Sugar bombs make me ill. I just KNEW I had to recreate a healthy version of my favorite dessert.
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED. It's totally possible when you use my Healthy homemade Reese's recipe!!
My Reese's Blast has ZERO dairy, zero SUGAR, and zero Garbage ingredients!!! 100% natural, plant-based ice cream filled with protein, fiber and antioxidants. That tastes completely SINFUL. But it's NOT. I'M HAVING A HARD TIME NOT TYPING IN ALL CAPS lol. I'm just too excited about this ice cream. It is SO GOOD. The chunks of peanut butter cups in every delicious bite absolutely blow me away!
Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I may earn a small commission from qualifying purchases made through referral links in this post (at no additional cost to you).
Have you seen the MILE long list of stuff they put in Sonic ice cream and store-bought ice cream these days?! All kinds of emulsifiers, gums, preservatives, thickeners, and "flavors" that could literally be a hundred different things. Not to mention high fructose corn syrup and tons and TONS of sugar. No thank you! Here's what's in this peanut butter ice cream:
- Coconut Milk
- Peanut Butter
- Pure Stevia Extract (but other sweeteners work, too) 😉
- Pure Vanilla Extract
Additional ingredients for the peanut butter cups:
- coconut flour
- chocolate (which you can make yourself using cocoa, coconut oil and sweetener!)
Why You Need an Ice Cream Maker
- An ice cream maker GREATLY improves the texture of the ice cream for a REAL DEAL ice cream experience
- It's actually simple and EASY to make your own ice cream at home
- YOU control the ingredients (and the possibilities are endless!)
- Healthy ice creams are FEW and FAR between. There isn't a whole-foods based, dairy-free, SUGAR-FREE ice cream even on the shelves that I know of! Especially that's low-carb, keto, vegan (and Paleo if you use almond butter) You can't get this in a store. You've gotta make it yourself.
It's so worth it! If you don't have an ice cream maker yet, go ahead and snag this one from Amazon! I absolutely LOVE mine. Want all my TIPS, tricks and FULL details on homemade healthy ice cream? Check them out HERE in my original vanilla recipe.
For Peanut Butter Lovers
If you remember from my previous low-carb ice cream recipes, I have been using almond butter + pure stevia instead of sugar. But here I really wanted to amp up the peanut butter flavor, so you guessed it-- peanut butter! Now I totally could've kept this as peanut butter ice cream and been completely satisfied. But why not make it even BETTER?! Adding in the peanut butter cups is absolute HEAVEN.
Homemade Peanut Butter Cups
Making your own peanut butter cups is SUPER easy, too. I modified my original healthy Reese's cups recipe to make it even simpler by using melted chocolate for the coating. (And I used wrappers this time so they really look like the real deal! haha)
Recipe Notes: Sweetener Swap
You may use any DRY sweetener you like -- the equivalent of ¼ cup of powdered sugar, such as powdered monkfruit, erythritol or allulose blend or coconut sugar (use a blender to make homemade powdered sweetener).
Keep frozen & wrapped in cling wrap to prevent freezer burn. Should be good at least 1-2 months in the freezer. PLEASE NOTE: The texture is best the same day - freshly churned since there are no additives, thickeners, and fillers like commercial ice creams. Are you ready for peanut butter cup BLISS?? You've gotta try this ice cream!!
Click the image below to save this recipe on Pinterest & Follow me on Pinterest for more DF + GF recipes 🙂
Healthy Reese's Blast Ice Cream (Keto & Vegan)
Peanut Butter Ice Cream
- 1 13.7 oz can coconut milk - full fat
- Heaping ⅓ cup natural peanut butter
- 2 Tbs vanilla extract
- ⅛ teaspoon pure stevia powder - or ¼ c powdered monkfruit or coconut sugar. see notes
Reese's (Peanut Butter Filling)
- ⅓ cup natural peanut butter
- 2 Tbs coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Dash of pure stevia - or powdered monkfruit or coconut sugar
- Dash of pink salt
Reese's (Chocolate Coating)
- 2 oz dark chocolate - sugar-free for Keto. *see notes for homemade chocolate
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
To make the Reese's:
- Line a mini muffin pan with 9 wrappers. Mix together all the filling ingredients in a small bowl. Add just enough coconut flour to form a dough. Taste and adjust for sweetness. Scoop into rounded ½ Tbs balls. Set aside while you melt the chocolate.
- Melt together dark chocolate and coconut oil gently in the microwave (30 sec).
- Add ½ teaspoon melted chocolate to the bottom of each wrapper. Swirl the chocolate by tilting the pan to coat the sides. Freeze for 5 minutes to set.
- Add a pb ball to the center of each wrapper. Pour chocolate on top to cover.
- Freeze for 15 minutes to set. (and keep frozen while you make the ice cream.) Chop 5 Reese's into small chunks.
To make the ice cream:
- (Remember to place ice cream bowl in freezer for 24 hours or until completely solid.)
- Blend all ingredients in a small blender. Taste and adjust if needed.
- Chill mixture. Place blender jar in freezer for 1 hour prior to churning so it gets very cold, but not frozen.
- Pour mixture into ice cream maker and churn for about 10 minutes (or until thickened to soft serve consistency). Throw in a couple of chopped Reese's during the last 2 minutes of churning, if you like.
- Transfer ice cream to a loaf pan or shallow dish. Sprinkle 4 chopped Reese's on top. Freeze 1 hour or until firm.
- *Important* Leave ice cream on the counter 5-10 minutes to soften. Scoop & enjoy with more chopped Reese's sprinkled on top (because yum)! 🙂
MORE Sugar-Free Peanut Butter Desserts
Check out these wholesome and delicious low-carb peanut butter desserts:
- Reese's Freezer Fudge
- Peanut Butter Bark
- Peanut Butter Pie Dip
- Reese's Mousse
- Peanut Butter Strawberry Squares
>> What ice cream flavor do you want to see next week? Tell me in the comments.
Faith Ann Lubitz
I love you and love your recipes..but..microwaves..not good. And for all the other effort you encourage people to go to , to avoid unhealthy stuff, using a stove can be done. Thanks! Xxxxxooooo❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️
Oh my goodness I’m dying this is sooo good! First of all, I couldn’t stop snacking on the homemade Reece’s, and second, my boyfriend and I were both licking the bowl, spatula, ice cream maker... yum! Mine didn’t get as thick in the ice cream mixture so I will try to wait for it to thaw out if the freezer to get the right consistency but it’s so hard when it’s so yummy!
Woohoo!! So happy you loved it!! I feel the same way. Definitely a lick the bowl situation, haha! My favorite ice cream so far!
Is there anyway to possibly make this or any of your ice creams with another non dairy milk? Unfortunately my tummy does not do well with coconut milk. Will cashew milk work maybe?
I’m not sure it would have the right consistency. Cashew milk and almond milk are almost all water. Homemade ice cream needs a high fat content to make the creamy consistency (whereas factories/ice cream shops that have nondairy ice cream add use kinds of gums, thickeners and additives to make it taste smooth and creamy)
If you’re ok with bananas, frozen banana chunks blended in a food processor with a scoop of peanut butter is DELISH. You can even stir in some pb cups, too!
My absolute favorite ice cream! You said to comment what flavour we’d like to see next. My next favorite flavour has always been mocha almond fudge. I’d love for you to come up with that recipe please!
My favorite too!! I’ve gotta make it again asap
Ooh mocha almond fudge sounds amazing!
You know what, I do have a mocha ice cream and a fudge recipe you can totally mix together!!
And add in my keto instant fudge and some sliced almonds! https://prettypies.com/4-ingredient-fudge/
Yum!! I’ll have to try that! Let me know if you make it too
This sounds amazing! What kind of ice cream maker do you recommend? Been wanting to get one for awhile but not sure which is best.
I love Cuisinart! Great quality and works great. I use [eafl id="11128" name="ice cream maker" text="this model"]. I didn't need a giant one for my family of 4.
Let me know if you try the ice cream! Hope you enjoy 🙂
can i make this without an ice cream maker?
You can, but the texture isnt quite as fluffy.
Blend the mixture in a blender then instead of using an ice cream maker, pour the mixture into a shallow dish and freeze, whisking every 30 to 60 minutes until the consistency you like is achieved. It may take several hours. Hope that helps!