Better than the original?? The REMIX! I love a classic strawberry shortcake, but this one’s even better with the addition of PEANUT BUTTER. So yummy! And healthier than the original, too, because there is NO sugar, flour, or dairy. Elevate your strawberry shortcake game. (Gluten-drew, dairy-free, Refined sugar-free, no sugar added, vegan)
Layers upon layers of deliciousness
Now that strawberries are back in season, I’m loving adding them to everything.. spinach salads, smoothies, on top of pancakes, yogurt, and (one of my favorite combinations) peanut butter! Yes, peanut butter! I’m not a fan of jelly on sandwiches. But fresh strawberry slices? Oh yeaaah! It’s delish!
Use peanut butter to make this soft cookie-like shortcake and then layer on fresh strawberries and whipped cream… omg, I die. Heaven on a fork. There’s something about that sweet + salty combo that is SO so good.
NUTTER BUTTER COOKIES?
This no-bake shortcake is different than your conventional flour, sugar, eggs recipe. It tastes like crumbled Nutter Butter cookies, lol! But much healthier of course! 😉 It’s made with almonds, peanut butter, and dates! (Be sure to use the big, soft medjool dates. If you use deglet, you’ll need more of them and might need to soak them first).
NO SUGAR (really!)
There is no sugar added to this recipe! Woohoo! Just fruit (4 dates + 1 1/2 cups strawberries) and a touch of stevia is all it needs to be amazingly sweet. Trust me, you won’t miss the sugar.
Trust me, this is simple to put together. Easy. All you have to do is throw the ingredients in a food processor, layer your pan with shortcake, spread on the whipped cream & strawberries and repeat! Then get ready for the taste sensation!
JUST 1 SLICE, BABYDOLL
True story: I served this dessert to my family and many, many tears were shed because I limited my almost 4 year old daughter to only 1 slice, haha! But I can totally sympathize. I could definitely put away this entire thing if I had the room in my stomach. My hubby raved about this one, too. It’s going on my “make again” list for sure. (In fact, I just might make a second one when this one’s gone!) I’m officially obsessed.
Have you tried the delicious combo that is Peanut Butter + Strawberries? It’s a winner! What other flavor combinations should I try? Let me know!
Peanut Butter Strawberry Shortcake
Peanut Butter Shortcake:
- 1 cup almonds
- 1/2 cup natural peanut butter + more for drizzling
- 4 medjool dates
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Pinch of Himalayan pink salt
- Splash of water to help blend
Whipped Cream/Strawberry Layer 1
- 1 can coconut milk or coconut cream *Thai Kitchen brand*
- 15-20 drops stevia
- 2 Tbs coconut oil melted
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Handful of strawberries sliced
Whipped Cream/Strawberry Layer 2
- 1 can coconut milk or coconut cream
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Handful of strawberries sliced
To make the shortcake:
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor and blend until fine crumbles form. Add a splash of water at the end to help it blend.
- Scoop out half of the mixture into a parchment lined 7" springform pan and press it firmly.
- Drizzle a spoonful of peanut butter over the first layer.
To make the first layer of whipped cream:
- Refrigerate a can of coconut milk overnight (OR use a can of coconut cream). Scoop out the solid white cream into a mixing bowl. Add stevia and vanilla. Whip with a hand mixer until smooth and fluffy.
- Melt 2 Tbs coconut oil and pour it at the end in while the mixer is running and mix for only 1-2 *SECONDS* to incorporate. (Do not overmix or it can clump up.) The coconut oil stiffens the cream to make it withstand the weight of the layers.
- Spread whipped cream over the shortcake, making sure to cover the perimeter.
- Add a layer of sliced strawberries on top. (Tip: To make it pretty, press them right up to the edge so they show when you remove the form.)
Assemble the Layers:
- Add the remaining half of the shortcake on top of the strawberries. Drizzle another spoonful of pb on top. Make another bowl of whipped cream (no coconut oil or stevia needed) and spread it on top. Finish it off with more strawberries. Chill for 1-2 hours to set. Enjoy!