VERY VERY StrawBERRY
So. much. strawberry FLAVOR! If you LOVE strawberries, you’re gonna love this homemade fresh strawberry ice cream! It’s so luxuriously smooth and creamy. You won’t believe it has no dairy and no added sugar!!
And possibly the best part (besides the amaaazing taste!)?? You don’t have to do any COOKING! It’s made in a blender! Woohoo!!
My son has been begging me to make strawberry ice cream ever since I got my ice cream maker a few months ago. That’s his favorite flavor!
I was reluctant to make it because I know with conventional strawberry ice cream recipes, you HAVE to COOK the berries in order to reduce the liquid (strawberries are VERY juicy, and juice = icy texture).
And you cook them to concentrate the flavor (otherwise it has VERY little actual strawberry flavor).
I don’t know about you, but I MUCH prefer EASY, no-cook recipes… the throw everything together and blend type. YES.
So with this recipe, I made it SO SIMPLE for ya. You don’t have to do any cooking to get a concentrated and CREAMY *not icy!* amazing strawberry ice cream!
What’s the secret ingredient to ULTRA concentrated delicious strawberry FLAVOR and gorgeous PINK color without the hassle of cooking the berries??
FREEZE DRIED Strawberries!! This fruit that allllll the moisture completely removed, giving it a crispy, almost chip-like, LIGHT as air texture.
I buy them at ALDI (for $2.99) but my buddy, Mandy notified me that she found them at the 99 CENT store!! 99 cents?! Awesome!!! (Thanks, Mandy!) 😀
You can also find freeze dried strawberries at Target, Trader Joes, Whole Foods and many other stores! Typically in the snack food section by the nuts. Or Amazon, too!
BONUS: The berries add enough sweetness to this ice cream that you DO NOT need the typical one CUP that traditional recipes call for. YAY.
If your berries are a little tart, or you like your cream super sweet, add a pinch of pure stevia or a little coconut sugar.
I promise you WON’T miss the dairy in this Paleo/Vegan strawberry ice cream. The rich and creamy texture is achieved through coconut cream and almond butter. Mmmm. Soooo dreamy creamy!
(And if you’re wondering, there is ZERO coconut or almond flavor. For real. Just INSANELY delicious INTENSE strawberry yum.)
Unlike my previous ice cream recipes, I used *ONLY* the coconut CREAM instead of the whole can of coconut milk. This is because I added in a whole cup of fresh JUICY berries and I didn’t want to water down the ice cream.
So, you may purchase a can of cream only, or – what I do to save $$ – buy a can of Thai Kitchen coconut milk and refrigerate it overnight (or for several days). The solid white cream rises to the top so you can scoop it out and save the yummy leftover coconut water for a smoothie! (It’s full of electrolytes!)
CHURN ME BABY ONE MORE TIME
I get this question a lot — can I make this WITHOUT and ice cream maker? The answer for this is not really 🙁
To get the REAL DEAL ice cream texture, I highly recommend churning so that it’s light and fluffy and creamy smooth instead of hard and popsicle like. Totally worth the investment (plus have you SEEN the price of dairy-free ice cream at the store and at an ice cream shop?? Omg.)
Click image below to save this on Pinterest. Follow me on Pinterest for lots more healthy delicious recipes 🙂
Very Strawberry Ice Cream (Vegan, Paleo, No Sugar Added)
- 1 13.7 oz can coconut milk solid cream only ~ 3/4 cup
- 1 cup fresh strawberries about 10 small
- 1/4 cup natural almond butter + pinch of salt if unsalted
- 1 1.2 oz bag freeze dried strawberries
- 2 Tbs vanilla extract
- 1/16 tsp pure stevia powder optional
- Blend freeze dried strawberries in a small blender or food processor for 5-10 seconds to make a powder.
- (Use a can of coconut milk that has been refrigerated overnight) Scoop out the solid cream into the blender along with all the remaining ingredients and blend smooth.
- Chill. Place blender cup in the freezer 1 hour prior to churning. *no longer, or it will freeze solid*
- Churn mixture in an ice cream maker for 5-10 min. Optional - throw in a handful of finely diced strawberries during the last 2 minutes, if you like!
- Eat immediately as soft serve, or place in a shallow dish and freeze 1-2 hours until firm for true ice cream consistency. Enjoy!