An ultra creamy frozen treat full of coffee flavor and bits of crunchy nuts! These Coffee Crunch Creamsicles are made with just 5 simple ingredients. No dairy, gluten, or refined sugar (Vegan & Paleo + low-carb/keto option)
3 things I need in this unbearably HOT summer: something COLD, something CAFFEINATED, and something EASY.
These creamsicles fulfil my every need, haha! Sooo simple – just stir together a few ingredients and freeze. No special equipment needed.
And they taste like coffee ice cream on a stick!! Your summer definitely NEEDS this creamy caffeinated frozen treat.
It has become a daily ritual. Every single afternoon, 3:30 pm, I’ve GOTTA have my iced coffee. I can not get enough of that caffeinated goodness.
Well something positively TERRIBLE happened the other day. I *Ran. OUT* of cold brew. I had just come back from vacation – my first trip to NYC! – and my fridge was looking pretty BARE.
But I noticed something completely awesome — my hubby had bought some popsicle molds. YAY. They’re so cute because they’re smaller than regular size. Just the perfect size for me to make some little frozen treats!
And BONUS – they cost 25 CENTS at Walmart! What??? You’ve gotta go grab some of these. Like ASAP, before all their summer stuff is gone!
INSTANT ESPRESSO TO THE RESCUE
I may have run out of my cold brew coffee, but I did not run out of my INSTANT ESPRESSO powder. My caffeine emergency savior. You can find it on Amazon, or at most grocery superstores in the coffee section. Note- it’s freeze dried espresso, *not* coffee grounds.
One little teaspoon of this stuff is pure magic. You can add it to SO many things for an *instant* coffee flavor (hence the name, ha). Add it to smoothies (hello frappuccino!), anything chocolate – baked or raw, add it to coconut whipped cream to make it mocha, chocolate avocado mousse, and DEFinitely add it to cashew cream to make this cappuccino cream tart!!
I came home from New York on about 9 hours of sleep… cumulative across a 4 day trip, lol. We ran on pure adrenaline from 4am til midnight every single day. I wasn’t tired until I got back home. Reality hit me like a ton of bricks.
So an EASY and QUICK frozen treat was looking better than ever. (Not to mention we went from 75 degrees to 105 back at home. Ughhh. WHY, Texas?!? Take me back to New York!)
Road weary, boiling hot, and too tired to do anything elaborate, I mustered the strength to stir. Yep, all you do is STIR together some coconut cream, instant espresso, coconut sugar and vanilla. 😉
THANKFULLY I always keep a can of coconut milk in the fridge for emergencies such as this. Make sure you do, too, friends! You need suuuuper cold cream that separates from the water.
2 minutes later, you’ve got this AMAZING espresso spiked, creamy yummy mixture in your bowl. *Resist the temptation to just drink the entire mixture.*
Pour it into your molds and then, my favorite part — the CRUNCH.
Adding a little bit of chopped nuts elevates these babies from good to FRIGGIN DELICIOUS. Trust me. You NEED those little soft bits of crunch in there.
Note that I said soft crunch. Be sure to use a soft nut such as walnuts, cashews or pecans. Do not use whole almonds in there unless you want it *realllly* crunchy and you want to crack a tooth.
Coffee Crunch Creamsicles (Vegan & Paleo)
- 1 13.7 oz can coconut milk solid cream only (1 cup)
- 2 tsp instant espresso powder
- 4 tsp coconut sugar or low carb sweetener (see notes)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts or other soft nut, such as cashews or pecans
- Refrigerate a can of coconut milk for a minimum of 24 hours. Scoop out the solid white cream into a mixing bowl (reserving the leftover coconut water for a smoothie)
- Sprinkle on coconut sugar and espresso powder and vanilla. Let sit for a minute to begin to dissolve. Whisk well to incorporate. Continue stirring until sugar and espresso are completely dissolved and no flecks remain.
- Taste and adjust to preference.
- Pour mixture into popsicle molds and fill each halfway. Add a sprinkle of walnuts and press with a spoon. Add more cream mixture and walnuts on top.
- Place popsicle stick and cover. Freeze for about 2-3 hours or until solid.
- To remove, run popsicle molds under warm water for a minute to help release. ENJOY.