It’s easy to make your own healthier candy bars! These mini Almond Joy can be Keto/Low-Carb, Paleo and Vegan so you can enjoy without regret! (+20 more recipes for homemade treats!)
No need to give into Halloween candy and suffer the impending wrath of the sugar monster. (For me, it’s an instant stomach ache, usually a headache, and just feeling like garbage afterward. WHO wants to feel like that? No one! I want to feel GOOD from the foods I eat. Especially desserts.)
NOW it’s quicker and EASIER than ever to make your own healthier homemade candy bars using my new shortcut method to add a PERFECT crisp chocolate shell — with less mess, less stress.
You can en’JOY’ your Almond Joy! Without wrecking your diet or feeling unwell afterward.
Make the classic coconut almond confection or one of the 10 other chocolate candy variations listed below.
These homemade treats are all made with simple, clean ingredients and can be completely sugar-free! YAY!
As an affiliate I may earn a small commission from qualifying purchases made through referral links in this post (at no additional cost to you).
Healthy Homemade Halloween Candy
Halloween candy is about to be everywhere. But it does NOT have to tempt you. You don’t have to give in to the sugar, chemicals and who knows what they put in that stuff. You can easily make your OWN homemade, much healthier candy. It’s seriously delicious. I actually like it BETTER than conventional candy because it doesn’t taste chemical-ly.
These homemade Almond Joy candies can be made Keto/Low-Carb, Paleo and Vegan, depending on your choice of chocolate and sweetener.
- For Keto, simply use a sugar-free chocolate, such as Lakanto, Lily’s or Choc Zero.
- For Paleo & Vegan, use Hu brand chocolate, which has no refined sugar. It’s sweetened with unrefined coconut sugar.
I really like 85% dark chocolate from Aldi. It’s dairy-free and low in sugar. If you’re a dark chocolate fan, you’ll love the quality of this European brand for it’s incredible flavor.
Chocolate in an ICE CUBE TRAY
I don’t know why I waited so long to try this. Maybe I was skeptical that it would actually work. I was a little worried the chocolate would stick horribly to the plastic and be a nightmare to pry out of the tray.
But it wasn’t.
It was the EASIEST method of coating chocolate I’ve ever encountered in my YEARS of dessert making. This is a GAME-CHANGER. It’s SO EASY.
- No double boiler
- No tempering the chocolate (which takes forevvvver)
- No crazy ingredients that require a trip to Whole Foods
- No tediously dipping each candy one by one (and making a HUGE mess)
How to Make the BEST Chocolate Shell
Melt the chocolate in a heat-safe (glass) measuring cup (preferably one with a spout for easy pouring) with a little coconut oil in the microwave Pour it. So quick & easy!
All it takes is maybe a teaspoon of chocolate poured into each well of an ice cube tray. Tilt the tray around in all directions to coat the sides of the tray with a thin layer of chocolate.
TIP: For a light candy shell, use the smallest amount of chocolate possible to coat the ice cube tray. If you like a thick chocolate coating that’s hard and crunchy, use much more chocolate.
Then you’ll add your filling (Either the YUMMY coconut almond filling OR whatever you choose! See below for TONS of options!) Pour a little more chocolate on top and pop it in the freezer until set. I left mine for an hour just to be sure it was solid.
Crack, crack! Twist the plastic like you’re popping out ice cubes to release the fun size bars. Next, invert the tray onto a large plate and the candies fall right out! It’s awesome!
Simple, Clean Ingredients
- Coconut (in four (yes 4!) forms: shreds, butter, oil and extract)
- Monkfruit for sugar-free natural sweetness with amazing PURE taste (no chemical aftertaste)
- Pink Himalayan Salt for depth of flavor, and a balance to the sweetness (not to mention the dozens of natural minerals!)
How to Make AMAZING (Keto Paleo Vegan) Coconut Filling
To make the scrumptious coconut filling, it only takes 10 *seconds* of pulsing a food processor.
Add these 4 forms of coconut, sweetener and a pinch of pink salt:
“Coconut Manna [is an] incredibly tasty, whole food treat made of pure coconut flesh. You can enjoy this coconut butter straight from the jar, or warm it up to spread the goodness! This tropical melt-in-your-mouth treat is rich in lauric acid and Medium Chain Triglycerides (MCTs), making it one of the world’s most nourishing and versatile superfoods” – Nutiva
Coconut milk to soften and moisten the filling (so the coconut is not too dry or hard). It also helps add a hint of coconut flavor.
Coconut shreds to give that classic coconut taste that almond joy candies are known for. A hint of texture + a hint of flavor.
Coconut extract. This is where some major magic happens. Add as much coconut flavor as you like. To me this is Coconut BLISS. (I absolutely LOVE coconut flavor!) the extract is optional, but if you truly want to taste coconut, I highly recommend it!
MORE Healthy Candy Bar Options
- Homemade Reese’s
- Make the filling by mixing 2/3 cup peanut butter, 4 Tbs coconut flour (just enough to thicken into a dough), 15 drops monkfruit and a splash of vanilla. Use the ice cube tray chocolate coating recipe below.
- Sugar-Free Peanut Butter Balls
- Chocolate Buttercream Cups
- Cookie Dough Truffles
- Chocolate Raspberry Truffles
OR make your own custom candy bars with your choice of filling:
- Chopped peanuts or pecans!
- Caramel + Sugar Cookies for Twix!
- Homemade Strawberry Chia Jam!
- Coconut butter + anything you like!
Healthy Desserts Galore
You thought that was all? I have loads more recipes for guilt-free treats! Great for fall entertaining, Halloween, or just to treat yo self 🙂
All free from gluten, dairy and refined sugar. All made with real food ingredients you can feel GOOD about. No junk. No harm.
- Homemade Starburst (4 flavor options!)
- Peanut Butter Bark (keto)
- Nutella Bark (keto)
- Frankenstein Pie
- Candy Corn Cheesecake
- Pumpkin Cheesecake (low-carb)
- See ALL my low-carb desserts here
Which homemade candy will you try? Let me know in the comments!
If you make a recipe, be sure to leave a star rating and review below. Tag me on Instagram so I can feature you! 🙂
Don’t forget to click PIN to save this on Pinterest!
Homemade Almond Joy Candy Bars
- Food Processor
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut shreds
- 1/4 cup + 1 Tbs coconut butter melted
- 2 Tbs canned coconut milk warm
- 2 Tbs powdered monkfruit
- dash of pink salt
- splash of coconut extract optional
- 1.5 3oz bars dark chocolate chopped (sugar-free for keto)
- 2.5 tsp virgin coconut oil
- 14 dry roasted almonds
- Melt coconut butter by placing it in a bowl of warm water. Stir well to incorporate the oil.
- In a food processor, add all ingredients for the filling and blend for about 10 seconds until well combined. Taste and adjust for sweetness and flavor. Set aside. (If mixture does not hold shape, refrigerate it for 10 minutes to firm up)
- Chop chocolate into large chunks and place chocolate and coconut oil in a microwave safe glass measuring cup. Melt in the microwave using 30 second intervals. Stir smooth.
- Pour about 1 tsp chocolate into each well of the ice cube tray. Tilt the tray to make a thin coat halfway up the sides. Save the remaining chocolate for pouring on top.
- Using an oval shaped 1/2 Tbs measuring spoon, scoop the coconut mixture to form the candy filling. Press an almond on top.
- Use your hands to re-shape the candy filling, if needed, to fit neatly inside the wells (careful not to make them too wide)
- Repeat for remaining filling mixture. Pour chocolate on top.
- Freeze the candies for 30-60 minutes until solid.
- When set, twist the ice cube tray to “crack” the candies free. Invert the ice cube tray onto a platter for easy removal. Enjoy!
- available from Amazon
- available from Thrive Market (use my referral link to save 25% on your first order)
- from Amazon
- from Thrive Market (use my referral link to save 25% on your first order)
- from Lakanto (use code PRETTYPIES to save 20% on every order)
Approximate MACROS for 1 Almond Joy Candy (based on 14 servings) using 85% dark chocolate
- Cal 139.7
- Fat 12 g
- Total Carb 7.8g
- Fiber 2.4g
- Sugar Alcohol 1.72 g
- Net Carbs 3.67 g
- Protein 2g
FOR KETO: Approximate MACROS for 1 Almond Joy Candy (based on 14 servings) using SUGAR-FREE 85% dark chocolate
- Cal 116
- Fat 11.4
- Total Carb 7.2
- Fiber 2.9g
- Sugar Alcohol 2.63g
- Net Carbs 1.63g
- Protein 1.7g